Chronic school absence is associated with a number of poor outcomes for students, schools and communities. Since 2012, CRC-affiliated faculty member Nancy Erbstein and CRC staff (currently Cassie Hartzog) have worked with the Sacramento City Unified School District (SCUSD) and other community groups to understand and address the causes of chronic school absenteeism. Together, they have generated a series of briefs aimed at quantifying and analyzing the problem, and pilot ways to reduce chronic absenteeism in the SCUSD district and beyond. This work has been conducted with generous support from The California Endowment and the Sierra Health Foundation.
- Sac City: First, Focus on Infrastructure
- EveryDay Q&A with Jennifer Kretschman, MTSS Director, Sacramento City Unified School District
- Unprecedented numbers of students have disappeared during the pandemic. Schools are working harder than ever to find them.
- How to reach the unreachable: Closing K-12 attendance gaps.
- How Schools Are Measuring Attendance During the Pandemic—and How They Should Be